Mold is a common problem in many houses today in the United States. Even though mold is an essential component found in nature and which has a very important function, it should be taken seriously in consideration when found in your home.
In order to permit mold to grow in any space, some conditions have to be there. The ideal environment in which mold grows is where warm moist air coming from outdoor condenses when it enters in contact with dry, cool, air conditioned air in your indoor space. Mold doesn’t look cool at all, but it’s believed that it’s not critical to your health unless individuals living there have a specific allergy to it. Summertime is the season where you can notice the presence of mold in areas of your home because of hot weather.
One thing is sure, you can´t get rid of mold completely, what you can do is to control it by reducing it with some maintenance in some areas of your home as well as keeping your air conditioners temperature difference between outside and inside your home not very large. Cleaning frequently condensation is also a habit that you should adopt.
To get to know mold better, here are some things that every family should be aware of about mold and how to deal with it:
- Practically speaking, there is not a method to get rid of all mold spores inside homes. All that can be done is to control and reduce mold growth.
- Controlling moisture means automatically controlling mold.
- If you encounter mold problems in your work center, dormitory or household, the source of mold or moisture should be eliminated first and then the affected area should be cleaned frequently.
If you have water leaking under your kitchen sink, or in your bathroom or anywhere else, you should repair them immediately as it’s a source of moisture.
- According to specialists, indoor humidity level should stay between 30 to 60 percent. You can do that by using dryers, venting bathrooms, air conditioners and dehumidifiers. One of these units popular today is Frigidaire Dehumidifier. Using exhaust fans while cooking is also a great solution to reduce humidity level. Also, try to dry your cleaned damp clothes withing the following two days maximum.
- Check if your bathroom floors or other hard surfaces if they carry mold and then clean them using water and bleach. Drying the washed space afterward is necessary. In the case of carpets where mold have grown, it may be a good idea to throw it away in case it can’t be cleaned.
- You can add insulation to windows and exterior walls in order to reduce the risk of condensation.
- Mold has the ability to grow on almost any substance such as food, wood, paper and carpet.
- Symptoms which indicates allergy to a certain type of mold include exacerbation of another respiratory condition or simply asthma. In this case, you should see a doctor.